CSUMB Academic III - Marina, California
Posted: August 10, 2022 | Projects
CSU Monterey Bay’s College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (CAHSS Academic III) building has achieved LEED Platinum, the highest certification awarded by the nonprofit U.S. Green Building Council.
Photograph courtesy of CSU Monterey Bay
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is the council’s green building certification program used worldwide. Buildings are evaluated on a variety of environmental features such as water, site, energy, indoor environmental quality, materials, and innovation in design.
The ground level features Classrooms, Suite for the Office of the Dean, the Visual & Public Art Gallery, an Anthropology & Archaeology Display, the RND Amphitheater, gender-neutral restrooms, and a family restroom.
On the second level, departments have a mix of faculty offices, specialized instructional spaces, and support space arranged in clusters for ease of access between students and faculty. Four of the seven departments are housed in CAHSS 504: Humanities & Communication (HCOM); Cinematic Arts & Technology (CART); Social, Behavioral, and Global Studies (SBGS), and World Languages & Cultures (WLC).
The departmental clusters are woven together by a series of shared spaces in the form of conference rooms, faculty and staff workrooms, and widened corridors with seating. These features create collaborative zones throughout the building to spark moments of interdisciplinary synergy.
Academic III is the heart of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. This project continues to fulfill the CSUMB campus vision for growth in the Comprehensive Master Plan. The site for the new building is the large parking lot area west of the Gambord Business and Information Technology Building.
Site operations started in August, 2017, with the beginning of major construction in October, 2017. The 48,000-GSF building features:
• State-of-the-art 200-seat film screening classroom
• Film production classrooms
• 40-seat and 60-seat interdisciplinary classrooms
• Language instruction classrooms and a language assessment lab
• Oral history lab
• Anthropology and archaeology classroom
• An art gallery, serving as a cornerstone of the first floor, affording students the opportunity to learn how to exhibit their work alongside faculty and guest exhibitors
• Gathering spaces: Multiple inviting and informal gathering spaces together with conference rooms provide faculty, staff and students opportunities to initiate and advance collaborations
• Amphitheater: The lobby and gallery lead out to the RND Amphitheater welcoming campus and the surrounding communities to events and conversation
Department Suites include:
• CAHSS Office of the Dean
• Cinematic Arts and Technology
• School of Humanities & Communication
• School of Social, Behavioral and Global Studies
• School of World Languages and Cultures
Academic III also serves as the hub for CAHSS programs, whose facilities are elsewhere on campus, including:
• Psychology research labs and faculty at Heron Hall, Building 18
• Visual and Public Art faculty and studio buildings in the VPA Complex, Buildings 70, 71, 72 & 73
• Music and Performing Arts faculty, recording studios, and recital hall in Music Hall, Building 30, and faculty offices and two specialized classrooms in Grove Hall 48
• Cinematic Arts and Technology studio and editing suites, which will remain in Building 27 • The CAHSS footprint on campus now spans nine buildings.
“With the new building, we have redoubled our dedication to faculty, staff, students and our community partners in a signature space that invites innovation and collaboration to enrich our disciplines and for students to engage in high-impact practices of applied learning, undergraduate research, service learning, and internships in service of community needs.” — Dean Ilene Feinman
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences’ new building opened in the fall of 2019.
CSU Monterey Bay
5108 4th Avenue
Marina, CA 93933
2150 Garden Road, Ste. A-1
Monterey, CA 93940
Location: Marina, California
Date Bid: Mar 2016
Construction Period: Oct 2017 to Dec 2019
Total Square Feet: 48,368
Building Size: First floor, 22,659; second floor, 25,709;total, 48,368 square feet.
Building Height: First floor, 15'; second floor, 13'; total, 28'.
Number of Buildings: One; 14 classrooms, 52 averageseating, auditorium seating 206.
Basic Construction Type: New/Structural Steel
Exterior Walls: Curtain wall.
Roof: Metal, membrane.
Interior Walls: Metal stud drywall.