Posted: March 20, 2019 | Projects
Richardson & Richardson, Inc. were the general contractors for the construction of the new Bernalillo County Animal Care and Resource Center in Albuquerque, NM.
Photo Courtesy of Katy Richardson/Richardson & Richardson, Inc.
The Bernalillo County Animal Care and Resource Center Facility is located in an underserved area of Albuquerque, and the plans have been in the works for nearly a decade. The county’s previous animal care shelter was housed in an old county fire station and was never designed or intended to house animals except for emergency situations. The construction project for the new facility was fulfilled with General Obligation Bond money. The new site was located on 2nd Street and Woodward, and was chosen after evaluating more than 15 potential properties. The site was selected because it met the County’s specific criteria, which included:
- Close proximity to the South Valley, (About 90% of animals handled by the Animal Services Department originate from the South Valley.)
- Access for residents from other areas of the County, (This site is reasonably close to the freeway and main roads of Broadway and Rio Bravo for access.)
- Appropriate Zoning, (This property is zoned M-2)
- Project budget, (This property is within the budget restraints of the project.)
- Access to Sewer and Water, (A 1,300 foot sewer extension was built to Woodward street.)
- No Flood Plain or Environmental Restrictions.
About the new Center
- 17,143 square foot facility
- Space for approximately 115 dogs and 25 cats; also livestock, small mammals, birds and reptiles
- Animal recreation and isolation areas
- Operational space for the Animal Care Services Department, veterinary care, and support services
Some of the exciting new programs and services offered at the Animal Care Facility include community volunteer opportunities, educational and training classes for people and animals, youth camp programs, and foster care and animal adoptions.
Families can meet an animal for adoption in dedicated rooms, and there is a separate surrender area. Kennels with outside hatches allow off-hours drop off of animals. The building also includes operational areas for the Animal Care Services Department, which includes the County’s animal control officers, and their support services.
The county will continue its enforcement function to ensure the health and safety of both people and animals within the community, assisting in reuniting people with their lost pets, as well as licensing and permitting of animals and animal establishments in Bernalillo County.
Roofing: Firestone Building Products
Storefronts: Tubelite, Inc.
General Contractor & Cost Estimator
Richardson & Richardson, Inc.
4100 Menaul, N.E., #2E
Albuquerque, NM 87110
BDA Architecture, P.C.
901 Lamberton Place
Albuquerque, NM 87107
JJK Group, Inc.
3240 C. Juan Tabo, N.E.
Albuquerque, NM 87111
Mechanical & Electrical Engineer
The Resource Group, Inc.
11930 Menual, N.E., #214
Albuquerque, NM 87112
Date Bid: Jun 2017
Construction Period: Jul 2017 to Nov 2018
Total Square Feet: 17,186
Site: 5.070 acres.
Number of Buildings: One.
Building Sizes: First floor, 17,186; total, 17,186 square feet.
Building Height: First floor, 17’; total, 27’.
Basic Construction Type: New/II B.
Foundation: Cast-in-place, reinforced concrete, slab-on-grade.
Exterior Walls: CMU, light gauge metal framing, metal siding.
Roof: Membrane, metal.
Floors: Ceramic, epoxy.
Interior Walls: CMU, metal stud drywall.
View full project details in the March-April 2019 issue of DCD