Fork Rest Area|
Archiplex Group, LLC
255 Crossroad Square, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
Location: Tucker, Utah
Date Bid: Oct 2009
Construction Period: Nov 2009 to Aug 2010
Total Square Feet: 5,189 Site: 14 acres.
Number of Buildings: Two; roundhouse and covered picnic area.
Building Size: Covered picnic area, 2,700, first floor, 2,489;
Building Height: First floor 30’; total, 30’.
Basic Construction Type: Wood frame/New.
Foundation: Cast-in-place, reinforced concrete, slab-on-grade.
Exterior Walls: Brick. Roof: Asphalt shingles, metal,
membrane. Floors: Concrete.
Interior Walls: Metal stud drywall.
Owner: Utah Department of Transportation - 4501 South 2700 West,
Taylorsville, UT 84129
Structural Engineer: BHB Consulting Engineers - 2766 South Main
Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
General Contractor: Cameron Construction - 573 West 3560 South,
#1, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
Mechanical & Electrical Engineer: PVE, Inc. - 1040 North 2200
West, Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Landscape Architect: PEPG Engineering - 8805 South Sandy Parkway,
Sandy, UT 84070
Architect: Archiplex Group, LLC - 255 Crossroad Square, Salt Lake
City, UT 84115
During the early 1900's the Town of Tucker, Utah had a population of
about 200 people. Tucker started as a simple railroad junction, between
the main line of the Denver and Rio Grande Western railroad and the spur
of the Utah and Pleasant Valley Railway and ran to the mines of the
area. In 1913 the railroad was re-aligned and completely rerouted. With
the railroad rerouted, the town was abandoned. In the years hence the
state of Utah used the abandoned town site for a rest area. Tucker Rest
area (Milepost 204) was built in 1969 and served travelers for 40 years.
In 2009, the Tucker rest area was removed for a highway safety project.
To honor the town, the state of Utah built a replacement facility about
2 miles downstream from Tucker and the new facility was named the Tie
Fork Rest Area. The UDOT concept team felt it was important to build the
restroom and visitor center to resemble a train depot of the early
1900s. A train depot would pay tribute to the town of Tucker and also to
the railroad heritage of the area. The design and project were
impressive and voted one of the most beautiful buildings in Utah in a
contest sponsored by the American Institute of Architects in 2010.
The exterior design is a replica of a roundhouse, which was a rotating
platform used to turn steam locomotives around. A replica of a 1900s
steam locomotive built by Original Creations is displayed on site. The
two-story, octagonal wing rises to a cathedral ceiling, decorated by
lights resembling antique gas lanterns. The look of the center is
appropriate for the information kiosks and picnic table area the
roundhouse is the center of. The 2,500-square-foot facility includes
display area, restrooms, outside picnic areas, and a concrete courtyard.
The project also included the drilling of a new water well and the
installation of a septic tank system with asphalt parking area.
Tie Fork will give travelers the opportunity to safely rest before
continuing on their journey and will serve travelers for many years to