Welcome to DCD.com!
ABOUT DCD    THE MAGAZINE    D4COST    CONTACT    HOME
Welcome to DCD.com!
ISSUE ARCHIVE     CURRENT ISSUE     CASE STUDIES   

 Current Issue
 Click here to
 read the issue.
Click Here To Access The DCD Archives™
Subscriber Login

Content/Departments
   Current Issue
   Issue Archive
   Specifiers Spotlights
   Building Products Revue
   TradeWinds
   Technical Articles
   Insights
   Case Studies
   DCD Sq. Ft. Cost Guides

   Cost Trends


Advertising
   Media Kit

Subscriptions
   Free Subscription
   Subscribe
   DCD E-News Subscription




  Fitzgibbon Hospital, Expansion and Renovation

Fitzgibbon Hospital, Expansion and Renovation, Page 32Architect

HMN Architects, Inc.
7400 West 110th Street, #200, Overland Park, KS 66210
www.hmnarchitects.com

General Description

Location: Marshall, Missouri
Date Bid: July 2006
Construction Period: Aug 2006 to May 2008
Total Square Feet: 39,000 Site: 73 acres.
Number of Buildings: One.
Building Size: Additions, 27,000; renovation, 12,000; total, 39,000 square feet.
Building Height: Total, 40’2”.
Basic Construction Type: New/Renovation/Structural Steel.
Foundation: Cast-in-place, slab-on-grade.
Exterior Walls: Brick, curtainwall. Roof: Metal, membrane. Floors: Concrete. Interior Walls: Metal stud drywall. 

Construction Team

Structural Engineer: Cary Engineering - 534 Old Howell Road, #100, Greenville, SC 29615
General Contractor & Cost Estimator: Triangle Construction - 2624 Laurens Road, Greenville, SC 29607
Electrical Engineer: Burdette Engineers - 102 Pilgrim Road, Greenville, SC 29607
Mechanical Engineer: Peritus Engineers - P. O. Box 16598, Greenville, SC 29606


Fitzgibbon Hospital’s history dates back to the 1800’s, when John Fitzgibbon, an Irish immigrant, settled in Saline County and saw the rising need for healthcare in mid-Missouri. Mr. Fitzgibbon set up a trust to build a hospital upon his death; the hospital was to operate as a private, not-for-profit corporation under a board of directors. Fitzgibbon’s estate paid for the construction of the original hospital, which began in March 1922 with the first patient being admitted in April 1923.

Over time, as the healthcare needs of area residents continued to change, the Fitzgibbon Hospital Board decided they could not adequately address the concerns shown in the local community. As a solution to this the Board decided to expand services and recruit additional physicians by constructing a new building. In 1987 they chose a 73- acre site west of Highway 65, across from the Saline County Fairgrounds. The new Fitzgibbon Hospital opened in July of 1991.

HMN Architects, Inc. was retained by Fitzgibbon Hospital in early 2005 to expand the facility to grow selected service lines. This was accomplished with two new additions to the existing hospital totaling 27,000 square feet and a renovation of 12,000 existing square feet. The first addition was a 1-story main entrance to the hospital, which included a new lobby, concierge desk, privatized registration bays, and a gift shop. The second project was a 2-story clinical services addition, which included a new radiology department, sleep labs, clinic space, an education center, as well as new administrative space. The renovated area included an expansion of Women’s Center, Emergency Department and the creation of a new Pre-Admission Testing and Ambulatory Care department.

Several principles guided the flow and organization of the newly created and renovated departments including; maximizing separation of inpatient and outpatient traffic through the use of separate corridors; increasing patient privacy through the use of private registration and pre/post operation bays; and providing more appropriately sized staff support and work areas in each department.

The exterior design of the new additions had to incorporate the existing hospitals’ distinctive green mansard roof and pitched canopies, which had become the symbol of the hospital within the community, providing an identifiable image, as well as greater visibility from the adjacent roadways. The incorporation of this design was achieved by relocating the existing pitched canopies to the new entrance drive and relocating the second canopy to a newly created outdoor picnic area. The green mansard roof was incorporated into the design with vertical massing elements providing relief from the continuous green band of metal. In addition these massing elements allowed for greater building height, better roadway visibility and signage opportunities for the Hospital.

With the opening of the expansion, Fitzgibbon Hospital will be poised to continue to provide state-of-the-art, compassionate care for many more years to come.

Manufacturers

DIV. 7: Metal Roofing: Berridge.
DIV. 9: Gypsum: United States Gypsum; Acoustical Treament: Armstrong Cirrus, Clean Room Mylar, and WoodWorks Linear.
DIV. 10: Wall Protection: InPro.
DIV. 14: Elevators: Otis. 

Click Here To Access The DCD Archives™
Subscriber Login

 

D4COST Software

The Specialty Bookstore for Construction, Business, Education and Life

 


©2015 Copyright DC&D Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | DCD Construction Magazine | Email: webmaster@dcd.com