Crossville First United Methodist Church|
J & S Construction Company
1080 South Willow Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38401
LOCATION: Crossville, Tennessee
Bid Date: August 2004 - Design/Build
Construction Period: January 2005 to April 2006
Total Square Feet: 15,816
Site: 1.3 acres.
Number of Buildings: One.
Building Size: First floor, 13,596; second level, 2,220; total, 15,816 square feet.
Building Height: First floor, 27’; second level, 16'8"; total, 27’.
Basic Construction Type: Pre-Engineered Building.
Foundation: Reinforced concrete, slab-on-grade.
Exterior Walls: EIFS, stone.
Roof: Metal. Floors: Concrete. Interior Walls: Metal stud drywall.
Architect & Structural Engineer: Nuber Architecture - 1069 Rolling Fields Circle, Columbia, TN 38401
Electrical contractor: Smith Electric - 226A West Stevens Street, Cookeville, TN 38501
Mechanical Engineer: CHC Mechanical Contractors, Inc. - 347 East Stevens Street, Cookeville, TN 38501
The Crossville First United Methodist Church had a historical building that was pushing 100 years old, seating in the church was tight for Sunday services and the classroom space was inadequate for their current programs. The dilemma they had was how do we handle the growth we are experiencing and not take away from the historic building everyone in Crossville associated with the Methodist Church?
After hiring an architect and bidding the project out twice, the Methodist Church was one million dollars over of their budget. After members of the church began to fear the church would not be able to build the building they needed, the church called on the design/build team of J&S Construction and Nuber Architecture to design a new building that fit the churches needs and was in their budget.
The Church presented two major concerns to the J&S Construction led design/build team; first they had a budget that could not be exceeded, and second they could not have a building that over powered their existing historical structure. To meet these concerns the church worked closely with Nuber Architecture to achieve the beautiful building that they deserved, while J&S Construction priced the project and contributed value engineering to make sure that the Church stayed within the budget that was set forth.
The design/build team used a pre-engineered metal building frame with crab orchard stone, and EIFS exterior to give the church a building that complimented the existing building. The 15,800-square-foot building has sanctuary seating for over 600 people with a main floor and balcony seating. The main level has foyer space, choir changing area and choir rehearsal room. The second level has access to the balcony seating and classrooms. The design team chose a standing seam metal roof with a copper color again to give the building a traditional look to match the existing building. The sanctuary allows natural light in through the use of storefront glass and a large stain glass window behind the stage. The historic sanctuary faced Braun Street a small side street that has limited traffic. The new sanctuary was placed so that it faced the main highway to give the church a presence on the highway. The placement of the new sanctuary also allowed the historic building to maintain its presence and own entrance. The int
erior of the existing sanctuary was turned into a chapel, office space and classroom space.
The Methodist Church held its first service Easter Sunday of 2006. This building will help the church and its members maintain its growth and community outreach for the foreseeable future. The design/build team and the church worked closely to make this a successful project, for everyone involved.
DIV. 10: Cross & Flames: Campbellsville Industries.
DIV. 13: Pre-Engineered Building: American Buildings.
DIV. 14: Elevator & Chair Lift: ThyssenKrupp.