St. Mary’s Medical Office Building|
The Lewis Group Architects
1111 Northshore Drive, #S-800, Knoxville, TN 37919
LOCATION: Powell, Tennessee
Date Bid: Jan 2004
Construction Period: Feb 2004 to Mar 2005
Total Square Feet: 71,021
Site: — Number of Buildings:
Building Size: First floor, 23,749; second floor, 23,636; each additional floor, 23,636; total, 71,021 square feet.
Building Height: First floor, 15’4”; second floor, 16’4”; each additional floor, 13’6”; total, 48’.
Basic Construction Type: II, Unprotected, Sprinkled.
Foundation: Pier & grade beam, slab-on-grade.
Exterior Walls: Brick, curtainwall, cast stone.
Roof: Metal, membrane.
Floors: Concrete, metal decking.
Interior Walls: Metal stud drywall.
structural Engineer: Carpenter Wright Engineers - 152-F Market Place Boulevard, Knoxville, TN 37922
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Johnson & Galyon, Inc. - 1130 Atlantic Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37917
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Albert F. G. Bedinger Consulting Engineers, P.C. - 500 Clyde Street, Knoxville, TN 37921
Electrical Engineer: Vreeland Engineers, Inc. - P. O. Box 10648, Knoxville, TN 37939
Civil Engineer: Gresham, Smith & Partners - 1400 Nashville City Center, 511 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37919
The Lewis Group Architects and consultant, Gresham, Smith & Partners, worked with St. Mary's Health System and Brinkman MDC to develop a phased master plan for new facilities to help fulfill a demand for healthcare in an underserved but growing area in Knox County, Tennessee. This assembly of buildings located on a 50-acre site is adjacent to an existing St. Mary's Fitness Center. The master plan included the Phase One Ambulatory Care Center, the Phase Two three-story Medical Office Building*, the Phase Three hospital and the Phase Four additional Medical Office Building. The master plan was designed to create a campus where patients and medical staff alike could benefit from the centralization of the services provided. Phases One and Two were opened in 2004.
The facilities are located at the junction of Highway I-75 and Emory Road, a rapidly developing area of town. Given a suburban context, the campus was designed to be distinctive in its surroundings, but to avoid the appearance of institutional monumentality. The buildings exist in a landscaped setting with walking trails, fountains, sculptures, and an overall orientation to the view of the mountains.
The Ambulatory Care Center houses a state-of-the-art cancer center, a women's center, and an imaging department. The women's center provides the full scope of diagnostics and treatment. The Imaging Center includes the latest equipment for CAT scans, MRI's, and radiation treatments. Imaging rooms include ceiling mounted light boxes with relaxing art.
It was also the intent of the project team and the owner to use architecture and interior design in every way possible to improve patients' physical and psychological well-being. On the exterior, Phases One and Two accomplished the goal of providing a warm setting with the use of materials with soft colors including light red and light brown brick, pre-cast concrete decorative elements, and metal detailing.
Inside, the goal was accomplished through materials and planning. A vaulted two-story entrance Atrium, which provides abundant light and air, serves both the Medical Office Building and the Ambulatory Care Center. It is finished with wood wall surfaces and marble tile floors. Large potted trees, upholstered benches and a grand piano add to the ambiance of the space.
Similar materials are utilized in the adjoining ground floor lobby of the Medical Office Building. A balcony overlook to the atrium is provided at the Medical Office Building lobby, which allows the spaces to flow seamlessly. A large second floor lobby adjacent to a communal conference room; incorporates decorative ceiling treatments with three different levels of suspended ceilings and perimeter cove lighting. Carpeted corridors in the Medical Office Building are accented with enlarged spaces that include "skylight" type light fixtures. Entries into the suites are recessed from the corridors with angled walls and tile floor surfaces in order to provide an inviting passage for visitors. Corridor walls are further enhanced by an extensive collection of regionally themed artwork.
*This case study focuses on the Phase Two Medical Office Building only.
Div. 7: Metal: Petersen
Aluminum, Membrane: Firestone.
Div. 8: Wood Doors: VT Industries.
Div. 14: Elevators: Otis.