Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University|
STANLEY BEAMAN & SEARS, INC.
135 Walton Street, N.W., Atlanta, GA 30303
TURNER CONSTRUCTION CO.
3424 Peachtree Rd., N.E.,# 1900, Atlanta, GA 30326
Total Square Feet:
Mar 2002 to July 2003
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Stanley D. Lindsey & Associates - 2300 Windy Ridge Pkwy, #200S, Atlanta, GA 30339
ELECTRICAL & MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Newcomb & Boyd Consulting Engineering Group - 303 Peachtree Center Ave., #525, Atlanta, GA 30303
CIVIL ENGINEER: Jordan Jones & Goulding, Inc. - 6801 Governors Lake Pkwy., Bldg., #200, Norcross, GA 30071
Emory University has had a long history of providing cancer care, research and medical training since its clinics first opened in 1937. As the program grew, Emory realized that a new clinical and research facility was required to help meet its goal to become a designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. The Senior Leadership envisioned a facility that would not only meet the University's research mission, but also provide an exceptional environment for the care of patients and their families.
Situated on a dense site, with restrictions, the site posed enormous challenges, both technically and functionally. Seven stories high, with sub-terranian spaces and tunnel connections, this building was partially constructed on top of active linear accelerator vaults, and surrounded on nearly all sides by other structures. For success, the project required a collaborative approach between the architect and contractor to meet the client's schedule and budget.
Although healthcare and research facilities are historically large energy consumers, the architecture and engineering team was challenged with designing the facility to qualify for LEED(R) certification. In January of 2005, the Cancer Institute formally received certification in the US Green Building Council's LEED program ("Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design"); the first building of its type to achieve this recognition.
The Cancer Center Director wanted a design that could speak to both researchers and patients in tangible ways - sending a message of optimism to patients, and a reminder to researchers to "accelerate discovery."
Inspired by these ideas, the design team worked to embed a language of hope, caring and imagination into the details of the building - both literally and symbolically. The building's exterior design echoes the University's more traditional architectural style, but the main entry invites patients into a crisp, modern interior, reinforcing the medical sophistication and the sense of confidence a patient seeks for cancer treatment.
The artistic centerpiece of the building is clearly the illuminated entry tower, which houses the monumental stair linking all clinical and research floors. With inspirational phrases embedded into the landings, and compelling reminders to researchers to tap into their imagination, the stair prompts a daily dialogue. This design element keeps both patients and researchers in mind - at every turn, reminding one of the other.
Input from patients influenced the design of the Infusion Center, which, at 80 stations, was daunting in size. The design was developed in more intimate clusters of 4 patients each, with half-walls that personalize the space for family members, while maintaining visibility for good nursing care. The clusters allow patients the opportunity to converse with their newlyfound "support group", or pull a curtain for privacy.
In short, the building design seeks to engage in a conversation with its occupants about life, health, and the ultimate hope for a cure.
DIV 07: Roofing Insulation: Atlas; Exterior Architectural Coating: Parex.
DIV 08: Curtainwall: Kawneer; Windows: EFCO Corporation; Glazing: Viracon; Skylights: Gammon Architectural.