Wiregrass Research & Extension Center|
1935 Headland Avenue, Dothan, AL 36303
Total Square Feet:
Construction Period: Nov 2003 to Aug 2004
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: LBYD, Inc. - 716 South 30th Street, Birmingham, AL 35233
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Whiterock & Associates. Inc. - 1404 Enterprise Street, #1, Dothan, AL 36303
ELECTRICAL & MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Polyengineering, Inc. - 1935 Headland Avenue, Dothan, AL 36303
Henry County, Alabama and the surrounding counties are largely agricultural communities with peanuts being one of the largest crops grown. This community depends on agricultural research and expertise from Auburn University provided at the Wiregrass Research and Extension Center to support growing efforts, improve crop yield, and eliminate pests to help keep farming a viable industry in the Wiregrass area.
The new technology based facility provides office space, controlled laboratories for entomology, aquatics, agronomy and peanut research as well as a conference room equipped with distance learning capabilities that can be used to educate the local public in areas of interest by teleconferencing with the main Auburn University Campus. The facility also supports the local experimental station owned by Auburn University and was constructed on property owned by this land-grant institution. Funding for this project came from many supporters including the Alabama Department of Agriculture.
This facility has a prominent location at the crossroads of the airport access road and the state highway that bisects the community of Headland. The facility has a brick exterior with an EIFS freeze. The large windows are operable and provide natural light in all of the administrative spaces.
The main entrance of the building opens into a spacious lobby where receptionists from both the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Research Center greet guests. The front portion of the building is divided between these two occupants. A shared break room, copy area and conference room are centrally located. Across from the conference room, where most community functions will occur are public restrooms. The rear hall leads to the controlled laboratories. There is a rear entrance to the building under the covered porch area that is easily accessed by truck for the delivery of plant, soil and animal samples to the laboratories.
The peanut laboratory has a set of doors that opens to the rear porch that allow for the elimination of dust associated with tests in addition to the dust control system installed. The Entomology, Agronomy and Aquatics laboratories have fume hoods with an experiment counter and a low counter for computer and data collection. Each space is designed to contain the necessary specialized equipment for the experiments that occur in each lab. There is a Distance Diagnostics Center located in the lab area of the building that is used by personnel to transfer information back to the Auburn University Campus for further study and research. This modern facility fills an important role in the support of the surrounding communities' agricultural needs and in the agricultural field at large.
DIV 04: Brick: Boral.
DIV 07: Asphalt Shingles: Elk; EIFS: Finestone.
DIV 09: VCT: AZROCK; Carpet: Shaw; Paint: Sherwin Williams; Wall Base: Johnsonite; Wall Tile: Florida Tile; Grout: Bonsal.