Heritage Center of Clark County Exposition Hall|
MCCALL-SHARP ARCHITECTURE, LLC
100 East Main Street, Springfield, OH 45502
Total Square Feet: 8,388
Construction Period: May 2002 to June 2003
GENERAL CONTRACTOR: KAPP Construction, Inc. - 329 Mount Vernon Avenue, Springfield, OH 45503
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Emil F. Toriello & Associates - 631 West Southern Avenue, Springfield, OH 45506
ELECTRICAL, MECHANICAL & PLUMBING ENGINEER: McMullen Engineering Company, Inc. - 779 Brooksedge Boulevard, Westerville, OH 43081
CIVIL ENGINEER: Hoppes Engineering Company - 1533 Moorefield Road, Springfield, OH 45503
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT: NBBJ - 1555 Lake Shore Drive, Columbus, OH 43204
The new Exposition Hall is Phase 2 of the existing Heritage Center of Clark County. This is an 8,000-square-foot new structure and 2,000-square-foot renovation in the 1890 building. The Exposition Hall opened in time for a June 2003 opening. This is a $2,500,000 project funded by the State of Ohio Arts & Sports Facilities Commission. Actual construction cost is $2,068,267 including exhibition costs of $262,761, plus another $310,000 for slate re-roofing of the older structure.
The goal of the design is to provide exhibition/storage space for the large and heavy artifacts that could not be placed in the 1890 Romanesque former City Hall building. These artifacts, such as an 8 ton Buffalo-Springfield Road Roller and a 1930's fire truck, as well as numerous thrashing and other pieces of farm equipment, are products of Springfield's past at the height of the Industrial Revolution. The building design is reminiscent of the grand trade or exposition fair halls of 1890. These were large open structures that showcased the companies, products, and entrepreneurs of the day. The architect's design intent is to take the visitor to the museum back to 1890 in a welllit and festive hall displaying Springfield and Clark county at that time.
The building is wrapped in brick and sandstone in horizontal banding patterns that are complimentary to the existing 1890 structure. The building is careful not to mimic or appear as an appendix to its massive Romanesque neighbor. It is positioned on the property to help anchor the site and give a sense of enclosure for the primary museum entrance. Located along Center Street it also reinforces the Streetscape as preceding buildings once did. Large windows strategically placed for full view upon entering the parking lot will entice the visitor by seeing the large artifacts inside the museum. A large bay window, reminiscent of older train stations, faces a very active railroad track with the express purpose of providing a panoramic view of the passing rail traffic that traverses the city. Site work upgrades the parking lot and makes it more pedestrian friendly with placement of pavers and trees. Special accommodations are also being made to revive a century old Farmers Market on the museum grounds.
The Exposition Hall/Gateway Gallery combined contains 19 separate exhibits housing 347 artifacts and graphic and text material totaling 140 pieces. The Hall is designed so that when a visitor enters, he/ she will spend a few minutes getting the sense of the space, where to go, and what to see. The objects, banners, and suspended signs present a high visual impact.
DIV 04: Brick: The Belden Brick
Company; Cast Stone: Arriscraft Renaissance Stone.
DIV 05: Steel Deck, Structural Steel: Vulcraft.
DIV 07: Metal: Follansbee; EPDM: Firestone.
DIV 08: Aluminum Entrances & Windows: EFCO Corporation; Sliding Glass Doors: Besam; Glass: Viracon.
DIV 09: Gypsum: United States Gypsum; Floor Sealing and Curing Compound: Euclid Chemical Company.