Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center|
SCHMIDT COPELAND PARKER STEVENS
1220 West 6th Street, #300, Cleveland, OH 44113
Total Square Feet: 4,315
Construction Period: Sep 2001 to May 2002
Lakeland Management Systems, Inc. - 915 Callendar Boulevard, Painesville, OH 44077
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Leinweber Engineering, Ltd. - 38038 Second Street, Willoughby, OH 44094
ELECTRICAL & MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Crown Consulting Engineers, Inc.
- 35005 Chardon Road, Willoughby Hills, OH 44194
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT & COST ESTIMATOR: Schmidt Copeland Parker Stevens
- 1220 West 6th Street, #300, Cleveland, OH 44113
The Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center is a state-of-the-art wildlife rehabilitation clinic operated by the Lake County Metroparks. The facility is situated in Kirtland, Ohio in the Penitentiary Glen Reservation and serves a seven county area. The Center has been serving its mission to relieve the stress of human impact on wildlife populations through human education and wildlife rehabilitation since 1983, but was severely hampered by its former 800-square-foot facility. It became apparent that a new, expanded structure was necessary to facilitate the successful rehabilitation of the more than 2,000 animals they accept annually. Portions of the original structure were incorporated into the new building and the site's relationship with the existing exterior aviaries was maintained.
Architectural and landscape architectural services were provided by the Cleveland based consulting firm of Schmidt Copeland Parker Stevens, who also coordinated the team of engineers commissioned with the task of incorporating several unique program elements into the project. The wildlife rehabilitation clinic had specific design requirements to properly provide humane veterinary services for the injured and orphaned animals in the northeastern Ohio region.
Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for the wildlife staff and volunteers in a clinic atmosphere was critical so isolated rooms for infected and diseased animals were provided. A special UV air filtration system was installed to kill the many zoonotic diseases present in this type of facility. The veterinary clinic encompasses a nursery, examination room, predator room, triage, isolation wards, kitchen and laundry. Specially engineered countertops and floors contain heat elements to help thermoregulate the body temperatures of the animal patients.
Administrative offices and a receptionarea allow for registration of wildlife patients within the facility. A 600-squarefoot classroom allows for onsite programming with school children and outside groups. The center is designed to provide several educational and observation opportunities including three display environments for resident animals with views from the reception area.
Building materials were selected for cost effectiveness and low maintenance requirements while retaining aesthetic continuity with the adjacent nature center and surrounding reservation architecture. Wood framing was employed for the administrative and classroom spaces of the building, while masonry construction was used for all animal and clinic spaces to ensure longevity and cleanliness in the frequently wet environments. The two animal wings are contained within aluminum greenhouse structures with polycarbonate glazing which allows the natural light that birds need for proper feather development and the moderated temperature fluctuations that keep them accustomed to the seasonal weather that they will someday be returned to.
The Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center was funded through private grants, corporate sponsorships, individual gifts and several staff-operated fundraisers. Fundraising donor tiles line the walls of the reception area as a reflection of the public support for this exciting and vital project.
DIV 07: Shingles: ELK Prestique®; EIFS: Dryvit; Vinyl Siding: Wolverine.
DIV 08: Windows: Pella.
DIV 09: Acoustical Treatment: Armstrong; Sheet Vinyl: Altro Flooring; Carpet: Mannington.