Willow Oaks III|
605 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Fairfax County, Virginia
Total Square Feet: 407,042
Construction Period: Dec 2000 to Feb 2002
Manhattan Construction Company - 8550 Arlington Blvd., #204, Fairfax, VA 22031
Structural Engineer: Fernandez & Associates, P.C. - 101 Park Washington Ct., Falls Church, VA 22046
Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing Engineer: GHT Limited - 1010 North Glebe Road, #200, Arlington, VA 22201
Lighting Design: C.M. Kling & Associates - 1514 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Landscape Design: EDAW, Inc. - 601 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
OWNER: Prentiss Properties - 3141 Fairview Park Drive, #200, Falls Church, VA 22042
Willow Oaks III is a 7-story office building providing 188,000 square feet of Class-A office space and a 5-level parking structure. It is the final phase of a three-building office complex located at the intersection of two major streets in the heart of Fairfax County, Virginia. The first two mirror image buildings were built in the mid 1980's.
The 4-acre site is the most prominent of the three building sites. It has the closest proximity to the street corner and has the best visibility from Arlington Boulevard (Rte. 50) which is a major transportation artery that connects Fairfax County to Arlington County and the District of Columbia.
There were several design challenges that had to be met on this project including a 90-foot height limit and a triangular shaped site with significant setbacks and easements.
The original site master plan was prepared in the early 1980's, when development budgets were more liberal. It placed all of the parking in a large underground structure, and placed the office building in the center of the site, centered on axis with the two existing buildings. The economic realities of development in the new-millennium required that the parking not be located in a cost prohibitive underground structure.
In the revised site plan, the triangular site is divided into two equal halves with the office building and parking structure placed in each half. The office building is placed so that it faces Arlington Boulevard. The parking structure, along Gallows Road, is stepped back at the top level to reduce the visual mass of the structure and perimeter planters are placed along the top two levels.
Willow Oaks Boulevard, the existing central street into the development, terminates in a new circular drop-off area. This area becomes a small urban plaza that ties the new building with the two existing office buildings.
The open space between the office building and parking structure is developed as a landscaped pedestrian path that becomes an extension of Willow Oaks Boulevard. The path ends at a landscaped park located at the corner of the property. This pedestrian path allows everyone in the development access to a retail center and a number of restaurants located across Arlington Boulevard. There is also a glass covered walkway that connects the parking deck elevator core to the two-story high main building lobby.
The original design concept was to clad the office building with an aluminum metal skin similar to the existing two office buildings. Due to concerns by the developer, a two-tone architectural precast panel system was specified. The glazing is a blue-green reflective glass with natural anodized aluminum mullions used in both the curtain wall and horizontal ribbon window application.
A post-tensioned, long span cast-in-place concrete frame is used to achieve a 45-foot long column free lease space with 9-foot high ceilings within a 12-foot 6-inch slab-to-slab height. The framing system was flexible enough to eliminate all columns from the corners of the office building to provide column-free windows at all corner offices. Four of the eight building corners have floor to ceiling high windows.
DIV 03: Architectural Precast: Smith-Midland.
DIV 07: Membrane: Bakor.
DIV 08: Front Entry Canopy Glass, Handrail Glass, Decorative Glass: Goldray; Curtainwall, Ribbon Windows Glass: Oldcastle Glass.