Welcome to DCD.com!
ABOUT DCD    THE MAGAZINE    D4COST    CONTACT    HOME
Welcome to DCD.com!
ISSUE ARCHIVE     CURRENT ISSUE     CASE STUDIES   

 Current Issue
 Click here to
 read the issue.
Click Here To Access The DCD Archives™
Subscriber Login

Content/Departments
   Current Issue
   Issue Archive
   Specifiers Spotlights
   Building Products Revue
   TradeWinds
   Technical Articles
   Insights
   Case Studies
   DCD Sq. Ft. Cost Guides

   Cost Trends


Advertising
   Media Kit

Subscriptions
   Free Subscription
   Subscribe
   DCD E-News Subscription

D4COST Software


Subscribe to Design Cost Data Magazine!


  Old Saybrook Firehouse Addition & Renovation, Page 28Old Saybrook Firehouse Addition & Renovation
Architect 
Noyes•Vogt•Architects
20 Dunk Rock Road, Guilford, CT 06437


Location: 
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Total Square Feet: 14,054
Construction Period: Aug 2000 to Oct 2001

Construction Team
General Contractor: Clarion Construction Management, LLC - 100 W. Pennsylvania Avenue, Towson, MD 21204
Structural Engineer: GNCB Consulting Engineers - 130 Elm Street, Old Saybrook, CT 06475


Old Saybrook, Connecticut, at the mouth of the Connecticut River and facing Long Island Sound, is one of many historic towns along the Connecticut coastline.

After more than 35 years the Saybrook Firehouse was in need of a new roof, expansion for new vehicles and additional space for office and storage. The firehouse also needed to update to cope with the increasing population and the mandated professional training to keep the volunteer department’s members up to required standards. 

Located at the corner of the town green in the center of town, its 1950’s appearance was considered inappropriate to share with both the town hall and the 1930’s former high school with their white double hung windows, multi-story brick facades and slate roofs. Therefore the building committee was charged with adding an esthetic component to the program for the renovation and modernization project.

The committee selected Noyes Vogt Architects, known for their expertise in sensitive handling of expansion and restoration of historic public and private buildings in prominent locations, to guide the project through the process.

The recommendation of the architects to place a new steel framed gable roof over the existing four bay apparatus garage and add a new flat roofed ladder truck bay to balance the opposite office and meeting room wing was enthusiastically accepted by the committee.

The architects provided an updated budget of $1,180,000 at completion of design development, and base bids were received on June 22, 2000 from 12 general contractors ranging from $999,498 to $1,250,000. The average of all bids received as $1,142,341. The committee elected to select add alternate bids in the amount of $18,400 and signed a total contract of $1,017,898 on August 24, 2000.

Actual construction started on site in October with substantial completion on October 2, 2001. The extended construction period was due to delays for inclement weather, change orders initiated by the owners to increase the scope of work, and failure of several subcontractors. 

The quality of work in the completed project was up to specification standards and well received by the town fathers. 

MANUFACTUERERS/SUPPLIERS

DIV 07: Slate: Welsh Mountain Slate; Membrane: Johns Manville.
DIV 08: Metal Doors & Frames: CECO; Windows: Winco; Overhead Vehicle Doors: Clopay; Hardware: Russwin, Rockwood, Pemko
DIV 09: Acoustical Treatment: Armstrong; Carpet: Bigelow; Paint: Sherwin Williams.
DIV 12: Wall Beds: Sico Company.
DIV 15: Fixtures: Josam, Chicago Faucet, Bell & Gossett.


©2015 Copyright DC&D Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. Email: webmaster@dcd.com