Huntley Project Museum of Irrigated Agriculture|
1616 Broadwater Avenue, Billings, MT 59102
Total Square Feet:
Construction Period: Apr 2001 to July 2001
General Contractor: High Tech Construction - 1201 4th Avenue North, Billings, MT 59101
Structural Engineer: Krivonen Associates, PC - 725 Grand Avenue, Billings, MT 59101
Electrical & Mechanical Engineer: cbg Architects - 1616 Broadwater Avenue, Billings, MT 59102
Cost Estimator: cbg Architects - 1616 Broadwater Avenue, Billings, MT 59102
CBG Architects met with the Board of Trustees of the Huntley Project Museum of Irrigated Agriculture to define the requirements for a new museum building. The board had already determined the requirements for the size of the building which would include a display area, cold storage, conference room, office, handicap toilets, and utility room. They also wanted the exterior of the building to look similar to a barn or shed fitting into the agricultural setting. The site had many trees, existing equipment and small display buildings already in place. It was decided to locate the new building near the existing equipment and in a manner that the fewest number of trees would have to be removed. The location would also need to give easy access to a foot bridge to the south that crossed the large irrigation ditch to several farm buildings and additional equipment displays.
After finalizing the floor plan, the architect determined that the building needed dormer windows to add natural light in the cold storage, display area and conference room. Ten foot wide porches the full length of the building were added on the northwest and southwest for covered exterior display areas. The building would be finished with 1 x 8 v-grooved fir siding installed vertically and the doors and windows trimmed with 2 x 6 boards. To accommodate vintage tractors and farm equipment being brought into the cold storage room for display, two 5-foot wide by 9-foot high hollow metal swinging doors were installed with the exterior and interior faces finished with 1 by 6 tongue and grooved pine siding as were the other exterior hollow metal doors.
Trusses were used to span the 48-foot wide building and in the conference room, display area and cold storage. The center half of the trusses were left exposed to allow for displays to hang from above and let in light from the dormer windows. Lighting in the display area consists mostly of track lighting.
The Board of Trustees decided upon a ground source heat pump system. The size of the system required digging five wells each 200 feet deep, along with a separate well for drinking water.
The soil conditions on the site required special consideration. During irrigation season, the water table is approximately 6-inches below finish grade and the soil becomes very mucky. This was addressed by placing the building on a monolithic slab with 18-inches of engineered-fill below the slab. The engineered fill had to be placed before water started running in the nearby canal in early spring. Drain tile was also installed to divert small irrigation ditch water around the building.
The soil was too wet to install a drainfield. The architect decided upon two 1,500 gallon holding tanks installed and a sewage pump to pump the sewage to the tanks. The tanks were placed close to the road to allow for regular pumping and half of the tank set above grade which required berming and landscaping around the tanks.
DIV 07: Asphalt Shingles: GAF Timberline Ultra.
DIV 09: Sheet Vinyl: Armstrong.