Welcome to DCD.com!
ABOUT DCD    THE MAGAZINE    D4COST    CONTACT    HOME
Welcome to DCD.com!
ISSUE ARCHIVE     CURRENT ISSUE     CASE STUDIES   

 Current Issue
 Click here to
 read the issue.
Click Here To Access The DCD Archives™
Subscriber Login

Content/Departments
   Current Issue
   Issue Archive
   Specifiers Spotlights
   Building Products Revue
   TradeWinds
   Technical Articles
   Insights
   Case Studies
   DCD Sq. Ft. Cost Guides

   Cost Trends


Advertising
   Media Kit

Subscriptions
   Free Subscription
   Subscribe
   DCD E-News Subscription

D4COST Software


Subscribe to Design Cost Data Magazine!


  Masonic Lodge Suburban Hall, Page 52Masonic Lodge Suburban Hall
Construction Manager
Joseph & Joseph Architects, PLLC
550 Fourth Avenue, #100, Louisville, KY 40202

Location: 
Louisville, Kentucky
Total Square Feet: 10,496
Construction Period: Dec 1997 to May 1999

Construction Team
General Contractor: Parco Construction Company, Inc. - P.O. Box 99339, Louisville, KY 40299
Structural Engineer: Birch, Trautwein & Mims, Inc. - 3001 Taylor Springs Drive, Louisville, KY 40220
Electrical & Mechanical Engineer: Associated Design Group - 114 Toledo Drive, Lafayette, LA 70506
Landscape Architect: Miller Wihry, Inc. - 1387 South Fourth Street, Louisville, KY 40208

This Masonic Lodge has a long history of local involvement in the area it is located and is an important part of the neighborhood make-up. Therefore when the city required the relocation of the Suburban Masonic Lodge because of necessary road improvements it was important to maintain the neighborhood continuity and the practicality of finding a new location.

Several individual home owner's lots were purchased to assemble a suitable site in the same area, only a short distance from the original location, which had been occupied for over 85 years. The members of the lodge desired to maintain the history of the old building but taking advantage of modern energy and maintenance efficiencies of a new structure. Joseph & Joseph Architects were selected to design the new building, which is a complement because they designed the original building in 1915.

This Masonic Lodge has a long history of actively supporting a variety of outreach projects for youth in the community. The major source of funds for this support has come from a Saturday fish fry. Started in 1919, the Masons like to mention the fish fry has a following from Texas to Michigan, with far-away patrons having uncooked, breaded pounds of Icelandic cod flown to them in coolers packed with dry ice or making special trips to Louisville. The Masons sell between 1,500 and 2,000 pounds of fish each Saturday and 300 pounds of onions. The onions are used in a special marinated onion relish that is served with the fish.

The importance of this fund-raiser required that the design incorporate the fish fry into the planning for a functional and efficient kitchen. The Lodge has a commercial kitchen design on the first floor including new equipment to improve the efficiency and ease of clean up. A new walk-in freezer and cooler were installed, ventilation hood, and tile floors for the kitchen were installed to allow for easy clean up and to insure a high level of sanitation, and allow the volunteers to have the most efficient use for their time and talents.

The functional considerations and the respect for the long history of this Lodge allowed Joseph & Joseph to combine certain salvaged parts from the building that was torn down with the construction of the new building to visually and emotionally tie the past to the present and future. Important stonework was removed and reused on the front of the building to maintain that important link with the past. In the second floor Lodge Room, the columns from the older building were incorporated into the new meeting room again to respectfully link the new with the past. The first floor has been designed to allow the continuation of the fish fry and other fund raising activities. The 65-space parking lot is also laid out to accommodate the patrons for the fish fry. This hall is rented for receptions, family reunions, and other meeting space requirements. The corner stone dated October 11, 1998 sits a top of the original corner stone brought from the old building dated October 16, 1915.

The building was located on the site to match the points of the compass to the officer's chairs as the traditions of the Masons require. Other Masonic bodies also use the building and many architectural additions were included to meet their traditions as well. The design and use of this building will serve the Masons well and allow them to continue their long tradition of helping others.

Manufacturers/Suppliers
DIV 07: Shingles: GAF Sentinel Mystic Slate.
DIV 09: Carpet: J & J; Tile: Dal-Tile; Vinyl: Armstrong Imperial Texture; Gypsum: United States Gypsum.
 


©2015 Copyright DC&D Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. Email: webmaster@dcd.com