Apostolic Christian Church of Bloomington - Normal|
FBI Buildings, Inc., 3823 West 1800 South, Remington, IN 47977
Total Square Feet: 35,000
Construction Period: Oct 1999 to Oct 2000
General Contractor: FBi Buildings, Inc. - 3823 West 1800 South, Remington, IN 47977
Structural Engineer: FBi Buildings, Inc. - 3823 West 1800 South, Remington, IN 47977
Electrical & Mechanical Engineer: Wm. Masters Co. - 401 Olympia Drive, Bloomington, IL 61704
Landscape Architect: Eden Landscape - 102 Parkside Drive, Goodfield, IL 61742
Cost Estimator: FBi Buildings, Inc. - 3823 West 1800 South, Remington, IN 47977
Rising from the rich soil of the Illinois prairie, this 34,000 square foot facility is truly representative of the congregation's heartland heritage. The building, sited on 20 acres of farmland, is at once contemporary and traditional; with a soaring triangular window "tower" which dynamically addresses the corner road intersection. This distinctive form creates a sense of vertical reverence without applied symbolism. This subtle integrity is present throughout the design. The earthen brick and traditional gable forms provide a sense of warmth. The spacious drive canopies stretch out to welcome and shelter all who enter the building.
The dual canopies, which are at each end of a unifying atrium space, clearly guide visitors both visually and physically into the main fellowship space. Nearly 30 feet tall and 166 feet long, this central space serves to organize the entire plan. Large windows on each end allow natural light to stream into the space which is punctuated by a rhythm of columned openings and horizontal indirect light coves running the length of the space.
The plan consists of four main areas; fellowship, sanctuary, dining and education. Both the sanctuary and dining room open visually and physically into the central fellowship area to allow for overflow flexibility.
From the lofty atrium, one travels through a transitional space having a relatively low ceiling. This contrast subtly evokes a sense of humility before entering the large brightly lit sanctuary which seats 750 persons including a balcony. The sanctuary has bays on each side with tall windows allowing an abundance of natural light. More dramatic, however, is the natural light streaming in from the 28 feet high monumental windows behind the pulpit and baptistry areas. These windows are indirectly shielded by angled opaque wall panels which are spaced only inches apart. The intense southeastern morning light floods between the panels providing a powerful, yet simple backdrop for the pulpit area. The light washes along large accent walls of natural oak. The overall effect symbolizes a Divine Light that cannot be contained; which permeates our lives and represents truth and purity.
After Sunday morning worship, the entire congregation traditionally joins together for lunch in the dedicated dining facility which serves up to 230 people at a time. The large commercial kitchen is complete with cooking and dishwashing facilities, a storage pantry and even a walk-in cooler. Additionally, the kitchen is serviced with a small covered canopy.
The education wing consists of a main assembly area which seats up to 200 students and can be divided with a folding partition wall system to create two large classrooms for the youth. Eleven other individual classrooms are available for pre-school through junior high.
The spacious child care area consists of eight individual sleeping rooms, a nursing room, and eating area, changing area, play area and separate viewing room into the sanctuary.
Other spaces included are a large and small conference room, recording room, sick room and storage rooms. The main mechanical deck is located above the education wing. The entire building is also serviced by a central vacuum system.
A unique feature of the church is the use of triangular bays, which serve a variety of functions; from the sanctuary "tower" to small gathering spaces in the dining and classroom areas.
The members of the congregation were instrumental in the selection of all building finishes, from the brick to the built-up wood trim details and even roofed the entire facility with volunteer labor.
Exterior Walls - EIFS: Dryvit.
Floors - Carpet: J & J Industries; VCT: Armstrong; Tile: Crossville Ceramics.
Interior Walls - Suspension Ceiling System: Chicago Metallic; Acoustical Ceiling Panels: BPB Celotex; Gypsum Board & Veneer Plaster: United States Gypsum.