Lee Steel Corporation|
Krause & Kessenich, Civil Engineers, 1025 Spaulding SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Total Square Feet: 78,666
Construction Period: Mar 2000 to Nov 2000
Construction Manager: D.J. Maltese Co., Inc. - 1360 Porter Street, #200, Dearborn, MI 48124
Structural Engineer: Krause & Kessenich, Civil Engineers - 1025 Spaulding SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Electrical Engineer: Buist Electrical, Inc. - 8650 Byron Center Ave. SW, Byron Center, MI 49315
Mechanical Engineers: Godwin Plumbing, Inc. - 3703 Division Avenue South, Grand Rapids, MI 49548
VanDyken Mechanical - 4275 Spartan Industrial Dr., #D, Grandville, MI 49413
Landscape Architect: Twin Lakes Nursery - 3680 Michigan Road NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Cost Estimator: D.J. Maltese Co., Inc. - 1360 Porter Street, #200, Dearborn, MI 48124
For twenty years, the D.J. Maltese Company has been providing construction services to Lee Steel Corporation; a family owned processor and slitter of coil steel located in a well-worn industrial area of Detroit. When the quality and competitiveness of its products and services earned Lee Steel added sales in the western Michigan area around Grand Rapids, first in the auto supplier market, and then in the equally quality conscious office furniture market, Lee Steel approached D.J. Maltese about constructing a facility in that part of southern Michigan. D.J. Maltese had strategic alliances in the area, and readily agreed. The project would proceed on a Design/Build construction management basis. The degree to which the owner desired a single point of responsibility would become clear shortly.
As D.J. Maltese proceeded with the preliminary budget development process, the owner's program rapidly evolved to a larger facility and the owner requested that the design be prepared for a future expansion of 32,000 square feet. The owner also requested D.J. Maltese to assist in finding the right site for the project. Approximately six acres were found and purchased by the owner in the Fall of 1999. During this time D.J. Maltese worked to obtain Industrial Revenue Development Bond financing for the project, and obtained a 12-year, 50% tax abatement for the project.
The design of the building provided for two 80-ft. by 400-ft. bays for the factory, with the future 80-ft. by 400-ft. addition to be constructed on the north side of the factory. During December 1999, D.J. Maltese went to market with bid packages for the trades, and speedily awarded the steel package to Genzink Steel of Holland, Mich., with a critical delivery of late April, 2000, and the concrete work to O.A.K. of Grand Rapids, Mich., who had to have the foundations sufficiently cured to receive the structural steel on its arrival.
Shortly before Bond Construction was to begin excavation (early March), the owner elected to purchase a new, very high- tech slitter. The new slitter, while it would not require the pit of the originally planned unit, required that the factory be mirror reversed on its east-west axis (the 400-foot axis), and the entire facility moved 80 feet north, since the future addition could now only go on the south side of the plant. It also required greatly increased under the slab the electrical, data, and pneumatic feeds, as well as large machine foundations, and several hundred feet of floor trenches. Since the northern part of the site was lower than the southern, it required several thousand yards of engineered fill as well.
The designer, Kraus & Kessenich of Grand Rapids, worked with D.J. Maltese, Genzink Steel, O.A.K., Bond and others to make the changes seamless, with design changes, costing, cost approvals, and revised drawings being rapidly expedited to insure that the early March shovel in the ground date was met. By late August, the new equipment was arriving, with assembly starting thereafter. Substantial completion of the plant was achieved in October, and the office in November. Pilot production began in October with equipment shakedown, and full production runs following immediately.
The site features separated shipping and delivery points with one way drive lanes that can remain unchanged when the future addition is constructed. Trucks arrive on site, move down the south drive lane (one way west) to either the delivery point (western most) or the shipping point (eastern most) move through the plant south to north, then egress from the site on the north drive lane (one way east). Office traffic is segregated from the truck traffic entry point.
As a result of the close cooperation between the designer, construction manager, in the value management of the project, more than 35 Contract Impacts (changes in scopes) worth more than $600,000 were incorporated in the project. At the conclusion of the project, the savings generated by the successful value management efforts exceeded the cost of 35 Cost Impacts; and the final cost did not exceed the original budget.
Exterior Walls - EIFS: STO; Entrances & Storefronts: Tubelite; Metal Siding:
Fabral; Special Doors: Overhead
Doors; Metal Doors & Frames: Curries.
Roof - Membrane & Insulation: Firestone; Standing Seam: RollCOM.
Floors - Coatings: The Garland
Interior Walls - Gypsum Board: United States Gypsum; Tile: Dal-Tile; Wood Doors:
Mohawk; Hardware: Sargent.
Conveying Systems - Handicap Lift: Detroit Elevator.