The University of Michigan, Kellogg Building Expansion & Renovation|
Jickling Lyman Powell Associates, Inc., 2900 West Maple Road, #210, Troy, MI 48084
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Total Square Feet: 59,206
Construction Period: July 1998 to June 2000
General Contractor: JM Olson Corporation - 26210 Harper Avenue, St. Clair Shores, MI 48081
Structural Engineer: Robert Darvas Associates, P.C. - 440 South Main Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Electrical Engineer: University of Michigan, Facilities, Planning & Design - 326 East Hoover, Ann Arbor, MI 49109
Mechanical Engineer: University of Michigan, Facilities, Planning & Design - 326 East Hoover, Ann Arbor, MI 49109
Landscape Architect: Smith Group JJR, Inc. - 110 Miller, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Cost Estimator: Jeffsan, Inc. - P.O. Box 7037, Huntington Woods, MI 48070
At the time of the founding of the College of Dental Surgery in 1875, the University of Michigan was the first state-supported university to offer an educational program to aspiring dentists. As dentistry has become an increasingly specialized and scientific profession during the past 125 years, the School of Dentistry has made major research contributions and led the way in setting educational standards. Renovations and additions to the Kellogg Building, constructed in 1939-40, represent the school in the year 2000 - proud of its past, yet fully equipped for the future. A state-of-the-art lecture hall now offers Internet connections for portable computers and a huge whiteboard that can display up to three 8-foot projected images and can be used as a writing surface. A futuristic glass-domed atrium, which can seat up to 255 people for banquets or other special events, houses an expanded Gordon H. Sindecuse Dental Museum, named in honor of one of the school's most generous benefactors.
The orthodontics wing named for Robert W. Browne has 34 new chairs in an open clinic etting; new x-ray facilities, offices, conference rooms and patient waiting room, expanded business and consultation areas; and an updated teaching laboratory.
Considered by many to be the father of pediatric dentistry, Kenneth A. Easlick was one of the earliest and most influential dental educators in the United States. The pediatric dentistry clinic, named in his honor, has 22 chairs in a semi-open clinic setting. The clinic also has two quiet rooms for children with special needs, a graduate studies seminar room and clinical outcomes research facilities.
The concerted effort has produced "State of the Art" orthodontic and pediatric clinical spaces integrating new with existing space. Adaptive reuse of existing areas, additional space and conversion of an exterior courtyard into the Sindecuse Dental Museum required sensitive renovation to house mechanical equipment and minimize the intrusion of new equipment and systems.
Renovation includes exterior restoration and new energy efficient replacement windows that retain the character of the original 1929 building. Building circulation spaces have been sensitively designed to reflect the Art Deco influence of the building interior, and interior spaces adapted to accommodate technically demanding teaching and clinical requirements.
The three story addition has been designed to be compatible with the original building, by the use of similar colors, materials, scale and sensitive detailing. Mechanical equipment is concealed under the sloping slate roof which relates to the Kellogg Building original form.
Exterior Walls - Brick: Belden Brick
Company; Skylights: LinEl Signature; Joint Sealers: Pecora; Metal Doors & Frames:
Curries; Wood Doors: Eggers; Aluminum Windows: PPG; Glazing:
Viracon; Paint: Sherwin-Williams.
Roof - Manufactured Roofing & Siding: Centria Versapanel Foam Roof, Centria Curved Econolap Profiled Panels, Formawall Dimension Series Panels; Membrane: Carlisle SynTec; Flashing & Sheet Metal: Copper Sales; Roof Specialties & Accessories: Bilco.
Floors - Tile: Dal-Tile, Fritztile; Resilient Flooring: Mannington, Armstrong; Carpet: Reese, Mannington, Milliken; Special Flooring:
Interior Walls - Gypsum Board: National Gypsum Company; Hardware: Hager, Sargent, Ingersoll-Rand, Glynn-Johnson, Von Duprin; Toilet & Bath Accessories: Scott, Bradley.
Elevator - Lifts: Concord Elevator.