Haselwood Library, Olympic College|
Schreiber & Lane Architects
100 South King Street, #260, Seattle, WA 98104
Total Square Feet: 40,570
Construction Period: Mar 1999 to Sep 2000
General Contractor: Merit Company - 3020 South 96th St., Lakewood, WA 98499
Structural Engineer: Martens/Chan, Inc. - 400 Mercer St., #410, Seattle, WA 98109
Electrical Engineer: Sparling - 720 Olive Way, #1100, Seattle, WA 98101
Mechanical Engineer: Consulting Design Inc. - 19203 36th Ave. West, #213, Lynnwood, WA 98306
Landscape Architect: SVR Design Company - 1008 Western Ave., #301, Seattle, WA 98104
Cost Estimator: Adamson - 1000 Second Ave., Seattle, WA 98104
Nearly four years after the collapse of half the campus library in the severe ice storm of 1996, Olympic College and the Bremerton community would soon see the culmination of their broad-based rebuilding effort when the second phase of the Haselwood Library was completed.
After touring the damage, the State as the college's insurer quickly agreed to replace the collapsed portion of the building "in-kind." The college knew however, that simply replacing an undersized thirty-year-old building that poorly supported the new information technology with a new undersized building that poorly supports technology would only compound the tragedy by piling lost opportunity atop the rubble pile of their lost building. Following an extraordinary effort from staff and volunteers who managed to rescue over half of the collection, it became clear to all that an equally extraordinary community effort was needed to turn this disaster into opportunity for improving the academic experience on campus. The support of charitable foundations, the Bremerton community, and key individual donors enabled the Olympic College Foundation to raise over 3 million dollars to supplement the 5 million dollars in state and federal funds for the rebirth of the academic heart of the Olympic College campus.
Retaining only the basic structure of the original 1968 library and the foundations of the 1976 addition, Schreiber & Lane Architects of Seattle, together with EHDD of San Francisco as Associate Architects, designed a completely new 36,000-square-foot library and media center. Functional areas, in addition to stacks holding the 60,000-volume collection, include distance learning classrooms, computer classrooms, and an instructional media support center. Taking advantage of its prime location at the main campus gateway, the building also incorporates a new 5,000-square-foot Student Services Center in the lower floor and a new clock tower/bus shelter.
Phasing the construction permitted the library to continue operation in the undamaged portion of the building. The initial phase replaced and expanded the damaged portion of the building providing space for all the library functions and the new Student Services Center. The second phase includes the new Media Center.
The library site, at the campus "front door" afforded an opportunity to create a new visual image to greet students and visitors to this community campus. The building forms and defines two sides of a new campus green while a new clock tower serves as a campus gateway, visually anchoring the intersection of the key pedestrian and vehicle pathways.
Reinforcing its role as the symbolic "open mind" of campus, the new library was designed to reflect an open book. Large expanses of glass open the building, encouraging two-way visual and physical connections to the campus and surrounding community. Functionally, the plan is organized on three levels providing several types of reading and research areas allowing a full range of study environments. The lower level houses a large informal reading area adjacent to the periodical collection and several small study rooms for groups of two to ten. The main floor has a large reading room having a two-story expanse of glass visually extending the building out to the campus green, blurring the sense of inside and outside study spaces. This area with its bright, friendly space has already begun to serve as the campus "living room." The element of openness in the design extends to the upper floor where study tables and carrels for quiet personal study are located along the perimeter adjacent to the large windows having campus water and mountain views.
While the building draws many of its design concepts from metaphors of open books, and images reflecting the pursuit of knowledge, the design solution is centered on essential elements of site and place. Natural light, the creation of a sense of place and purpose on campus, and an image of the "open mind" all combine to create a library which promotes ease of use and a friendly accessibility to all students and the Bremerton community.
Exterior Walls - Entrances & Storefronts, Curtainwall, Metal Windows:
EFCO Corporation; Aluminum Composite Panels: Alpolic; Glazing: Heat Mirror by Southwall Technologies; Fire Glazing:
Firelite® by Technical Glass Products; Metal Doors & Frames: CECO; Sound Control Door:
Ambico Limited; Fire Doors:
Total Door Systems® by
Roof - Skylights: EFCO
Corporation; EPDM: Firestone; Metal: IMSA Building Products.
Floors - Carpet: Interface; Ceramic Tile: Dal-Tile; VCT: Armstrong; Tile: Wausau; Underlayment:
Interior Walls - Metal Studs: Steeler; Gypsum Board: James Hardie; Acoustical Wall Treatment: Snap-Tex Systems; Acoustical Ceiling Tile: USG Interiors; Toilet Partitions: Ampco.
Elevators - KONE; Handicapped Lift: National Wheel-O-Vator.